Advanced Algebra and Trigonometry Syllabus
Textbook: Advanced Mathematical Concepts (Glencoe) and Trigonometry
This course is designed for the enhancement of algebraic skills and introduction of trigonometry through calculators and computers. With particular emphasis placed on trigonometry, graphs and inverses of trigonometric functions, trigonometric identities and equations, vectors, relations with advanced functions and graphing.
This is an advanced mathematics course taught for one semester. Its purpose is to provide a strong foundation for higher mathematics, whether in high school or college.
1. Students will use the real and complex number systems.
2. Students will investigate vectors.
3. Students will perform basic operations with matrices and use them to formulate
and solve problems.
4. Students will understand and use arithmetic and geometric sequences and series.
5. Students will understand and apply probability and statistics.
6. Students will recognize, analyze, and graph the equations of the conic sections.
7. Students will recognize, analyze, and graph functions
8. Students will define and apply the trigonometric ratios to right triangles and the
9. Students will define and apply trigonometric identities and equations to solve
The students will be evaluated with the following grading scale. Progress reports given every 3 weeks with a report card given out at the end of the semester.
Unit Assessments (Common/Summative) 50%
Tests and Quizzes (Formative) 25%
Daily Assignments (Homework, Classwork, and Tasks) 10%
Final Exam 15%
If you are out for any reason it is your responsibility to get the notes from someone the day you come back and make-up any assignments from that day(s) within 3 days of returning to school. If you are out on the day of a test, it is your responsibility to setup a time to make the test up. If you do not make-up your assignment or test within the 3 days you will be assigned 5th block.
Unit assessments will be given every 4½ weeks and tests will be given every 3-5 days. Quizzes will be announced 2-3 days in advanced.
1. Class Expectations:
Listen to understand
Set aside judgment
2. Come to class on time and be in your seat when the bell rings.
3. Obey all school rules.
4. Bring materials to class everyday.
Exam Exemption Policy:
The only students that may earn exemption from final exams are seniors.
I will be available for extra help in the mornings from 7:00am until 7:20am. I will be available on Monday and Wednesday afternoons during 5th block from 2:30pm – 3:15pm. Please do not hesitate to come in for help any time.
5th block is every Monday and Wednesday from 2:30 – 3:15 and transportation is provided by the school on these days. If you sign up and do not come to 5th block then you will be given two more opportunities to come before further action is taken.